I develop new instrumentation to study the complex structure of microbial communities in the oceans. My work spans the fields of optical, mechanical, software and electrical/electronic engineering. Instruments such as the SeaFlow sheathless flow cytometer are designed and built from the ground up in my laboratory and machine shop. SeaFlow is currently being operated monthly on Hawaii Ocean Time-Series cruises and annual SCOPE funded cruises. I am currently working on a new flow cytometer for autonomous platforms. This cytometer, named PipeCyte, uses an immersion primary optic combined with sheathless detection optics to perform in situ single cell measurements in any fluid scaled to any size. The first target platform will be on board a CTD to perform continuous depth profiles of the phytoplankton community.
- 2000 M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Acoustics – University of Texas at Austin
1997 B.S. in Physics – University of Washington Journal Publications
- Swalwell, J.E., Ribalet, F., and Armbrust, E.V. 2011. SeaFlow: A novel underway flow-cytometer for continuous observations of phytoplankton in the ocean. Limnology & Oceanography Methods 9: 466-477
- Tu, J., Swalwell, J.E., Giraud, D., Cui, W., Matula, T.J. (2011). Microbubble sizing and shell characterization using flow cytometry. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control 58(vol. 5):955-963
- Ribalet, F., Marchetti, A., Hubbard, K.A., Brown, K., Durkin, C.A., Morales, R., Robert, M., Swalwell, J.E, Tortell, P.D., and Armbrust, E.V. 2010. Unveiling a phytoplankton hotspot at a narrow boundary between coastal and oceanic waters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107:16571-16576
- Koester, J.A., Swalwell, J.E., von Dassow, P., Armbrust, V.E. 2010. Genome size differentiates co-occurring populations of the planktonic diatom Ditylum brightwellii (Bacillariophyta). BMC Evolutionary Biology. 10:1 doi:10.1186/1471-2148-10-1 Swalwell, J.E., Petersen, T.W., van den Engh, G. 2009. Virtual-core flow cytometry. Cytometry Part A 75A: 960-965
- Thomas J. Matula, Vassilious J. Bezzerides, Paul R. Hilmo, Lisa N. Couret, Trevor W. Olson, Lawrence A. Crum, Jarred E. Swalwell, David W. Kuhns, and Ronald A. Roy (2000). The effects of buoyancy on sonoluminescing bubbles. ARLO Volume 1, Issue 1, pp. 13-18 (August 2000); (6 pages)
- Swalwell; Jarred; (Shoreline, WA) (2010). Virtual core flow cytometry Allowed US8773661/US8467054
- Matula; Thomas J.; (Kirkland, WA) ; Swalwell; Jarred; (Shoreline, WA) (2009). Dynamic characterization of particles with flow cytometry. Allowed US8441624/US8264683
- Swalwell; Jarred; (Shoreline, WA) (2015). Cytometer with automatic continuous alignment correction Published.
- Swalwell; Jarred; (Shoreline, WA) (2016). Systems and Methods for Immersion Flow Cytometry Published.